Everything you need to know to make the most of the Library at Watkins
Last Updated: Aug 23, 2017
"The Congress shall have the Power...To promote the Progress of Science and the useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;..."
United States Constitution, Article I. Section 8. Clause 8.
- To reproduce the work in copies,
- To create derivative works based upon the original work,
- To distribute copies of the work to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or lending,
- To perform the work publicly, in the case of literary, musical, dramatic, and choreographic works, pantomines, and motion pictures and other audiovisual works;
- To display work publicly, in the case of literary, musical, dramatic, and choreographic works, pantomines, and pictorial, graphic, or sculptural works, inlcuidng the indivudal images of a motion picturesand other audiovisual work; and
- In the case of sound recordings, to perform the work publicly by means of a digital audio transmission.
- American Society of Media Photographers
Great basic information for creative people, including a good short video about how to register your copyright.
- Center for the Study of the Public Domain
This site from the Law School of Duke University will keep you up to date on the current status of public domain issues and has a great selection of videos about Creativity and Culture.
- Copyright & Fair Use (Stanford University Libraries)
Comprehensive overview of fair use, including up to date news, detailed overview of fair use, and charts & tools to help you determine fair use.
- Fair Use Evaluator
A short online program of questions to help you assess your case for fair use of copyrighted content. It creates a PDF of your input that you can file with your records.
- Public Domain Sherpa
Reader-friendly site all about the public domain and copyright.
- Public Domain Slider
Cool online tool that helps determine if something is now in the public domain.
- U.S. Copyright Office
Information about copyright, forms to register works, links to look up a copyright holder.